January 29, 2008

Two Sisters and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Well, today was just one of those days...

I woke up this morning after being as sick as a dog all weekend feeling much better. I asked Brandon to run my bath water this morning as he has almost every morning of our marriage. I laid in bed thinking about how wonderful it would feel to jump in that steaming hot water. I finally talked myself into climbing out of bed and ran straight to the tub, to find it filled to the top with luke warm water. I tried to add some hot, only to find that we were out of hot water. Brandon actually asked me before walking out the door for work if I "was still talking about the stupid cold bath." And, oh yes sir, I was! (And I still am!!)

The boys and I made it out the door without much drama. I did have to turn around to come back to the house to get a return I had left here because Sister and I were headed to Rockwall today with big plans of shopping at good places (Target) and eating good food (La Madeleine). I dropped the boys off with no problems, headed to the bank, and was about to meet Sister when I noticed T's lunch box lingering behind my seat. A short detour back to the church, met Sister, dropped her car off at the detailer's and we were finally off.

Our first stop (and REAL reason for our trip) was to go by the rent house we own to check out the condition that it was left in, grab the keys, etc. We got to the door and it was locked. We tried all doors, all windows, with no luck. I called Mr. Lukewarm Hubby and Mr. Nonpaying Renter with very kind messages explaining my frustrations. Hubs advised that I call a locksmith to open the house. Such a smart guy...I did just that. And 2 hours later, he was there with the great news that the door knob was stripped and needed to be replaced. And, of course, he had just the parts I needed in his truck and would replace them in twenty minutes. While he did this little job, I had exactly FORTY minutes of pure pleasure walking around our first home, the home I brought my first baby home from the hospital to, and look at how TOTALLY TRASHED OUT it was left. That is all I have to say about that.

Moving on...

During the initial part of the locksmith waiting game, Sister and I decided some retail therapy was in store. She had spotted a new boutique that had opened since we moved from the area that looked oh-so-great. It did not disappoint. The store itself didn't disappoint; however, the fact that the electricity had been blown out by some horrific arctic wind did. We walked around in darkness looking at what we could see and saying what we would buy if they could actually sell us something.

After squaring away with the locksmith and a short and not-so-sweet phone conversation with Mr. Nonpayment, we realized that we had exactly one and a half hours left to eat, shop, drive home (1 1/2 hour drive) and pick up our kids at their respective schools. This meant...drive thru food, NO Target, and driving very aggressively to make that deadline. The alarm sounded to let us know we were out of gas, so we pulled in to a gas station with 18 pumps....with NO gas!

Ya'll, I couldn't make this stuff up!

En route back to our little town, the detail man called Sister to ask where her keys were. Uh huh, she had them in her purse...there would be no clean car for her today!

We did make it back safe and sound. I dropped Sister off at her car where she slammed her entire head in the door because of the mentioned above wind gusts. (And yes, slamming your whole head in a car door is possible...this is not her first go round with such!) We parted and hoped for better futures.

A few miles down the road, I decided to call Sister to make sure that she was not bleeding or having vision problems, imagine my surprise when HER phone started ringing in MY car. I'm telling you terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!

And as a little icing on the cake, hubs is home "sicker" than a dog tonight!!

BUT, I do have a little sunshine...my little Z just ran in the room, jumped in my lap, gave me a big unsolicited kiss and said so sweetly, "I love you, Mama."

It ALMOST made me forget about the whole cruddy day! Almost.


Mandy said...

I laughed so hard at Sister banging her head into the door! Never fails does it? Planning something fun and exciting for just yourself and then life gets into the way. Hope next time is better.

Robin said...

Oh my god - Mandy was upstairs in our house and sends me an IM (you know we really can't be bothered to actually walk up or down the stairs in our sprawling 2,000 square foot house) to read the newest blog. I can only see Christy with her head slammed into the door and the fact that you mention she has actually done this before! Hillarious!

Becca said...

So sorry the much needed day of fun was not so fun! You know it's bad when you can't find time to make it by Target!!
I did enjoy the story, though!

Anonymous said...

I was cracking up! Like Becca said, it's a bad day when you can't even make it to the Target...especially when you drive an hour and a half to get there! :) Hope today is better.

Kelly said...

Oh that is a horrible day!!!! I hope today is MUCH better. Sorry you missed out on Target and Le Madeline .........maybe another day?

The Garners said...

Sorry for the rough day! I'm really sorry that you missed out on Target--that's always good medicine! :) I was feeling a little sorry for myself this morning when I was aching from head-to-toe and coughing and freezing (no temp though, strangely), and curled up on the couch during A's nap to rest while R watched cartoons. I guess I dozed off because I woke up to him smothering me with a stack of pillows. Dozed off yet again, amazingly enough, and woke up to being sprayed DIRECTLY IN THE FACE with air freshener from the bathroom. Somewhere in there the nurse from AFK called me back and said she'd called R in some ($60) eye drops for what I've diagnosed as pink eye--thankfully they didn't make us come in for the $60 office visit. So I have no voice--and a raspy cough, and Alexee has yucky running out both nostrils and R looks like he's been on drugs, but the three of us strolled into Kroger pharmacy like we looked cute. :)

Anonymous said...

wow... unbelieveable... I only wish I could see you telling this story :)


Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Wow! I need a nap or an adult beverage just after reading that! Glad you made it through that day!